I often see honest Christian people who are not at all healthy. Sometimes they become frustrated and discouraged, even wondering why God has not healed them. And sadly, too often they are experiencing the negative results of their lifestyle choices.
Some Christians have been criticized for not caring enough about their health, for being “so heavenly minded they are no earthly good.” Christian in general use tobacco and alcohol less than non-Christians, but then those who attend church regularly are more likely to be obese. Christians definitely have a mixed track record when it comes to a healthy lifestyle.
Let’s put one question behind us. Your eternal destiny is not dependent on your body mass index, whether your fingers are nicotine-stained, or what disease(s) you have or don’t have when you die. Where you spend eternity is based only on your relationship with God through His Son Jesus. We’re not talking heaven or hell when we talk about health here: we’re very much talking about earth.
But there are some very big reasons Christians should care about their health. Many Scripture passages show that God is interested in your health. Paul wrote, “Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.” (1 Cor. 6:19,20)
A healthy lifestyle physically, mentally, and relationally affects your Christian life in many ways. When you’re healthy:
- You are more effective for God’s Kingdom. God can and does use anyone who will allow Him to do so. But whatever God has given you to do, you can do so more efficiently and effectively with a clear mind, a healthy body, and strong personal relationships.
- You are a positive advertisement for God’s Kingdom. Who are you more likely to want to be like; someone who is angry, sick, tired, miserable, and lonely, or someone who is positive, energetic, kind, healthy, and friendly? Remember that you are the only gospel some will ever read.
- You hear God’s voice better. Having a mind that is clear, healthy, alert, and not clogged with toxins puts you in a much better position to understand God’s Word and to hear His voice when He speaks to you.
- You experience God’s restoration now. Sin broke everything about us – our physical health, emotions and thinking, relationships, and our connection with God. Working together with God to maximize every part of your health allows you to experience a large measure of His restoring power in your life even now.
- You worship God. God created you in His image, and re-created you again in saving you. He deserves and asks for your worship in return. Presenting your whole being to Him in worship involves caring for every aspect of your body, mind, and soul. Again Paul wrote, “I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God– this is your spiritual act of worship. (Romans 12:1)
Yes, Christians must care about their health. The implications are truly out of this world!
Here are some scriptures and resources about Christians, their health, and God’s ideas on the subject, that can help:
- Romans 12:1,2 “I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.”
- 1 Corinthians 6:19,20 “Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.”
- Genesis 2:7 “And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.”
- The obesity epidemic in Christian churches.
Your Turn: Is there anything in your lifestyle that you believe God would like you to change? Leave a comment below.
Tweetables: why not share this post?
- It won’t get you into heaven, but being healthy WILL help your spiritual life now. Tweet that.
Interested in more to help you live FULLY ALIVE?
Get your FREE Resource Guide: 7 Keys to Living Fully Alive – from the Inside Out.