Only the Holy Spirit can truly make the Bible come alive in your heart. But there are some steps you can take to help that happen.
Sometimes we all have voices in our head. Maybe not the crazy kind of voices that would qualify you for a psychiatrist’s couch, but the kind that places a value judgment on what you do, and nags at you when you don’t do something you should. Some would call it your conscience.
And if you are like many Christians, that voice may be telling you, “Read the Bible!” You’ve heard it from preachers, Sunday school teachers, and maybe even your parents. If your home is like most homes, you probably own several Bibles. But is your Bible one of those that someone could write “Read me!” in the dust on the cover?
I’ve heard that voice in my head too. Even though I read the Bible from the time I learned to read there have certainly been times in my life when it just didn’t happen.
It’s so easy to find excuses. The Bible seems too big, too hard to understand, too boring, too old, too separate from my life now. I’m too busy, or too tired. It’s too much work to figure it out. I don’t know where to start or what to do.
I want to take away a little of the mystery and the overwhelm, and outline a few things that can give you the chance to experience how life-changing Scripture can truly be.
Here are some Scriptures and resources that can help:
- Jeremiah 15:16 “Your words were found, and I ate them, And Your word was to me the joy and rejoicing of my heart; For I am called by Your name, O LORD God of hosts.”
- 2 Corinthians 3:17,18 “Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there isliberty. But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord.”
- Philippians 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”
- The Youversion Bible app: FREE for your computer or your smartphone
- Bible Study Tools: an online collection of many free resources for Bible study
- Dr Carol’s post: What To Do When You Don’t Feel Like Reading the Bible
Your Turn: What is your favorite Scripture? What made it special to you? Leave a comment below.
Tweetables: Why not share this post?!
- Making the Bible “real” to you is not that difficult. Here’s how to start. Tweet This.
Do you want to live FULLY ALIVE?
There are simple steps you can take EVERY DAY that will propel you forward in experiencing the kind of life you want, and that God wants for you physically, emotionally, relationally, and spiritually.
Get your FREE Resource Guide now: 7 Keys to Living Fully Alive – from the Inside Out.