Does God care if you’re fat? “What kind of question is that? Are you TRYING to make me upset?”
No, I’m not trying to make you upset. But I do want you to think about the question. If approximately two thirds of Americans are overweight, and one third are obese, surely God has something to say about the situation.
Christian preachers and gospel singers have a reputation for being seriously overweight. Some data asserts that Christians are more frequently overweight than those of other religions, or no religion at all. And yes, you’ve probably heard all the jokes about fried chicken.
But again, what is God’s perspective on this?
Here are some things we can say about God’s view.
- God won’t check your BMI at heaven’s door. There are no scales at the foot of the pearly gates. Thin people, fat people, old people, young people – there’s only one criterion for entry into heaven: is Jesus your Savior?
- God hurts when you hurt. You are His child. If you’re a parent, you understand how your child’s pain affects you. Being overweight hurts you physically and emotionally, and God cares about that.
- God understands your weaknesses. Jesus felt what you feel (Hebrews 4:15). If you have struggled to lose weight, He understands your struggle personally. He’s not a taskmaster forcing you to do anything. He’s more like your biggest fan cheering, “You can do it!”
- God values your wellbeing for His Kingdom. God is eager to use you every way He can. Your effectiveness is impacted if you are not healthy, including being overweight. He doesn’t wait until you change to use you, but He does want you at your best.
- God empowers you to live better. More than your biggest fan, God will also walk with you daily in your journey, regardless of your weight. In losing weight, He will help you deal with whatever is weighing you down, empower your motivation, and strengthen you to make the lifestyle changes you need to do.
- God deals with your inside first. There are many reasons you may struggle with being overweight. God is the best there is at transforming your heart from the inside out. Then all the outward behavior changes will naturally follow, even if they are sometimes difficult.
- God celebrates your positive transformation. God is in the business of restoring broken things – even you – to be greater than they could ever have been before. He loves showing you off as an example of what His grace can do in someone’s life – weight and all.
Does God care if you’re fat?
Yes. And No.
He loves you just the way you are. He also loves you too much to let you stay the way you are.
Your turn: How do you think God feels about you? Is He trying to change something in your lifestyle? I’d love to hear from you in the comments below.
Tweetables: Why not share this post?!
- If being overweight is a problem for you, it’s something God cares about. Tweet This.
Did you enjoy this article? Interested in more to help you live FULLY ALIVE?
Get your FREE Resource Guide: 7 Keys to Living Fully Alive – from the Inside Out.