It’s good to be angry! There are some things to be angry about. If you are not angry at intolerable evil, you will never have the motivation to do something about it.
This past week many of us have been angry over the terrorist bombings in Boston. And rightfully so! Anger provides the emotional energy to push back against things that are wrong. Sometimes we push that anger away too quickly. Anger is our warning light that something needs to change. When the problem is outside of our ability to control we cannot always accomplish all the change we would like to. But we can do something! Paying attention to the anger is important.
Here are some things I hope each of us is angry about:
- Children getting hurt. Whether it’s a terrorist bomb, a sexual predator, or a nasty virus, hurting children is not ok!
- Loss of freedom. Certain human rights are God-given. Others have been sacrificed for by men and women with their lives. Those rights are worth defending.
- Vulnerable people being taken advantage of. Those who are disabled, poor, or estranged need someone to fight for them. Domestic violence and human trafficking need to be stopped.
- Addiction and related crime. Those affected by alcohol, drugs, and other addictions don’t need more legislation, but they do need help to fight the bondage of addiction.<
- Evil wherever it strikes. There are countless ways evil may show itself. And as Edmond Burke is credited with saying, “All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.”
There are other legitimate things to be angry about. Though not always possible, anger is best directed at a problem or an issue rather than a person. When you are angry at a person, pause and see if you can discover what the issue is that you are really angry about.
Are you angry? Feel that emotional heat rising in your being? What is wrong that you want to set right?
Now what are you going to do about it?
Your turn: What are you angry about? What do you plan to do about it? I’d love to hear from you in the comments below.
Do you want to live FULLY ALIVE?
There are simple steps you can take EVERY DAY that will propel you forward in experiencing the kind of life you want, and that God wants for you physically, emotionally, relationally, and spiritually.
Get your FREE Resource Guide now: 7 Keys to Living Fully Alive – from the Inside Out.