You worship something or someone. I hope that Someone is God.
As a human being you were made to worship. You can’t NOT worship. Even though most of us get completely self-absorbed far too often, you as an individual human being are not big enough to worship. One day you won’t be here. There are too many things you don’t and can’t understand, know, or do.
And that’s the way it’s supposed to be. As incredibly valuable as you are to God, to others, and to the world, God has left Himself indispensable.
But showing God the worship He is worthy of does not happen in an hour or two each week in some church service, as important as that is. Worship is a lifestyle.
If you want to know who or what someone worships, look at their lifestyle.
Here are 10 ways you can truly worship God:
- Show up when people gather to worship Him. Yes, that usually means church. God has this amazing idea that church is about Him! When we gather with others for the express purpose of praising Him it “leaks out” into the rest of our lives.
- Take care of your physical body. God lives in your body through His Holy Spirit. (1 Cor. 6:19) That thought is almost too big to comprehend. Your physical lifestyle in such areas as diet, rest, refraining from addiction, and sexual integrity is caring for the temple where God lives. (Rom. 12:1)
- Care for those in need. There is a special place in God’s heart for people in need: children, the poor, the sick, the hungry, those in prison, those who are abused or trafficked. Being God’s hands in caring for them is a matter of worship.
- Care for His world. We may live here, but the earth belongs to God. (Psalm 24:1) Caring for it like He would honors Him. That does not mean neglecting or harming people at the earth’s expense, but God does care about His creation.
- Check your checkbook and calendar. What you care most about will have an important place in your finances and your time. You spend money and time on what takes first priority. Make sure God gets a generous amount of both.
- Check your words and attitudes. Fear, anger, bitterness, unkindness – these, of course, dishonor God. Courage, kindness, joy, peace, love – these come from Him, and demonstrating them in your words and behavior is a matter of worship.
- Revel in His presence. You can enter God’s presence many ways: prayer, worship music, time in nature, in church. He revels in your presence: why not revel in His? This is one of the most powerful ways to keep your soul filled up and strong as well.
- Allow God to change you as He desires. A transformed life is the biggest single proof that God is who He says He is. Keep showing up, enter His presence often, and He will turn you into someone “fit for a King!” (see 2 Cor. 3:18) You can’t make this change on your own: give Him access to your life, and He will do it.
- Turn to Him in trouble. When your voice and your heart cry out to God when you need help it demonstrates that you see Him as the “Go-to Guy.” Asking Him to intervene, and showing gratitude when he does, shows Who you worship.
- Embrace your purpose. Your entire life vocation is a matter of worship. Most of the time that does not mean vocational ministry. What you leave behind when your life is over – people helped, a business or job that’s made a positive difference, a message shared – can and should bring honor and worship to your God.
Who do you REALLY worship? Check your lifestyle. I hope it’s God!
- Worship is more than church. Here are 10 ways you can worship God. Tweet This.
Your Turn: What ways do you worship God? Are there ways I’ve missed in this list? Leave a comment below.
Do you want to live FULLY ALIVE?
There are simple steps you can take EVERY DAY that will propel you forward in experiencing the kind of life you want, and that God wants for you physically, emotionally, relationally, and spiritually.
Get your FREE Resource Guide now: 7 Keys to Living Fully Alive – from the Inside Out.